Monday, December 29, 2008

Poor baby



















On top of a jammed pack December and home remodeling project (post to follow...) my poor Abby got sick. What started out as just a cold has turned in to quite a nasty bug that has lingered on for over a week and resulted in a Febril seizure on Sunday morning at about 5 a.m. It was one of the scariest things I have ever been through. Abby was acting fine all week but obviously had a cold and her fever never got above 101. But that night for some reason she just got too hot too fast and she had a seizure. I heard her fussing and then all of a sudden the noise changed. In my head I knew she was having a fever seizure. I have never witnessed one before, so call it mother's intuition or something, but I ran in and grabbed her and we called 911. Her fever still was only 101! I though it needed to be over 104 or something before a seizure is a worry. So off to Primary Childrens Medical Center (PCMC) we went in the ambulance.

Jer ran over to get the neighbors since K was asleep and then he called Jen to the rescue so he could come down and be with us at the hospital. It is an amazing feeling to know that you have someone you can call no matter what time for what ever reason and they will be there. We called her so we could leave K sleeping and not have to worry in case we were at the hospital for a long time and then Jen ended up bringing her 3 kids down at 5:30 a.m.! Isnt she AMAZING!! (Jen thank you and you have no idea what you mean to me. xoxo)

But back to the story... so I rode in the front of the ambulance and Abby didnt cry the entire ride there which made me so scared. They didnt turn the lights on so I knew it wasn't a total emergency but I really wanted to hear some sort of response from her. Plus all I kept thinking about was Charlie and what if Abby has meningititis and her poor little brain doesnt recover! But after a few tests and some Ibuprofen and Tylenol her temp was back to normal and all seemed well. Looks like it was just the fever seizure. So this means she is more suseptible to these again and we'll just have to watch her when she gets sick.

Today I made a follow-up appt with our regular doc and I am really glad I did. He took one little look in her ears and BINGO! Major double ear infection. HELLO!?!?!?!? They checked that at PCMC and I even asked about it specifically because Abby is prone to ear infections and they said she was all clear. I had her in Sun to get checked too because I knew she was getting something and she was all clear then so I guess I took her in a few days too early. So it took a seizure, ambulance ride and ER visit to diagnose an ear infection. I cant beleive they missed that at the ER! ARGH! But it is great that's all we have to deal with. So a simple prescrip of amox and we'll be set.

Sunday was a pretty rough and irritable day, and Abby is still pretty worn out today, but hopefully the worst is behind us and she'll be feeling better soon now that we have the right medicine.

ETA: The meds are workng and my baby girl is doing MUCH better. Say CHEESE!

2 comments:

susie said...

Oh my goodness...what an ordeal. I'm glad it turned out okay in the end. I hope you don't have to go through all of that ever again!!!

Gold-E said...

Wow Jody, that is really scary. Glad she's feeling better!