Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Romantic get away?

So this past weekend Jer and I had a "romantic get away". We went to Moab for a work conference, so no it wasn't really romantic, but it was a free trip and my MIL came out for the week to watch the girls so, we'll take what we can get!

It all started on the way down.... Actually, not true.... It started before we left. I went in to work Wed morning to finish up a few things. Turns out I was suppose to hand in some paperwork and take care of my conference money 2 weeks ago. How was I suppose to know, I never travel? So no biggie really they just give me some pre-paid Amex cards. I got a lot more money than I was expecting too so this was GREAT!

Ok, so then we leave FINALLY around 5:00. First stop is the gas station. I whip out my handy dandy pre-paid Amex cards and read the fine print.... "can not be used on Gas or hotel"..... HELLO!!!!! I got them to pay for gas or hotel! WTH?!?!? So what ever, I called work and they will pay me when I get back like I had originally thought any ways so no big deal. Ok, so we are on the road again. About half way there on lovely Hwy 6 we get PULLED OVER. Dun dun duuuuunnnnn. We are in Jers truck so of course I cant find a current insurance card or registration. STRESSFUL! So we end up with a nice $107 speeding ticket. Great!

Finally make it to Moab and all is well. I even get a full nights sleep since Abby is with Grandma! So off I go to the conference. About 2:00ish I get a phone call from Jer. So I send it to voicemail. Uh-oh, he calls back which means something happened. So I answer and Yep, something happened all right... Jer could not get his bike to work so he had to take it to the shop. On the way back to the hotel he got in to a car accident!! Moab has a main street that can get a bit nasty. He was turning left out of a gas station, which is located on a curve where the lanes merge from 2 to 1 lane. He was trying to turn and there was a van and a bus parked on either side of the exit. So he inches out.... cars are coming so he decides to try to get to the suicide lane (turn lane). Well a car pulls in to that lane to turn in to the gas station. So his only choice is to back up. Yep, right in to a little car. He went back maybe 18" and that car was just right on his bumper so he smashed it! ARGH!

The truck just got a little ding on the bumper so the tailgate hits it when it is open now:










But the little piece o' civic got a bit smashed.










But it doesnt end here! So a few beers later Jer is over the ticket, the broken brakes and the car accident. We had a nice dinner out that night and got to relax in the hotel hot tub. So the next day I go to my conference and Jer heads to the bike shop to get his bike. He pays for it and goes out to load his bike in the car and there are 2 people pointing at it and looking at the frame. Turns out he has a CRACK in the frame! So that means it is 100% broken. Who knows how long the crack has been there but with the weekend we were having he wasn't going to chance it. Of course we notice it AFTER he pays for the shop to fix it!

So our trip to the mountain biking capital of the world did not include any biking at all. Not all was lost though and we had a great day of climbing Saturday. The weather was beautiful and we had a great time. Moab sure is an incredible place to visit!











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOly Moly! The pics are beautiful though, hope you make some better memories next time!

susie said...

Wow! What a getaway! That's definitely one for the books! I hope your next one is incident free!